Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sonia Nazario


This speaker that we had was quite a treat.  To be honest, when I thought of immigrants coming to America, all I thought about was them crossing the Mexico-America border.  I had no idea about the grand journey of trying to make it through Mexico and all of the other Central American countries.  It was incredible to hear about the dangerous journeys on top of trains.  What was the most heart-wrenching was listening to her talk about how desperate the little kids were to find their mothers who had left them.  It was tragic that a mother had to chose between leaving her kids behind to make money to support them, or to stay with them and have her family suffer from starvation.  It was so moving when Nazario explained how she went on the journey herself.  It showed true dedication toward her passion.  I couldn't even imagine putting myself in her shoes, riding on top of trains with her life constantly in danger.  It gave me a totally new appreciation and understanding for immigration.  It is a fight and a struggle for freedom, and also reuniting with loved ones.  I think it would be an awesome project to do some sort of a documentary on this-- being able to visually see the struggles and talk to the immigrants would be awesome. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your idea of what you thought immigration was. People in the United States often only think about the Mexico-U.S. border and are negligent toward the other borders below. Your suggestion of a documentary sounds quite interesting. I believe that a documetnary will appeal more strongly to the senses. It could even encourage people to do their own individual research on the immigrants struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here. I was also aware of the struggles beyond crossing the border and the vast number of children willing to make this dangerous journey.I also think that inviting children who have gone through this experience to speak at USC would be a great experience. I think the solution to immigration is not simple and that people need to take time out to hear both sides of the story.

    ReplyDelete